Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Gaining Blog Followers: Response to Sam

9 Comments

Sell handmade crafts online:
Love your blog, been following it for a while. I’ve noticed you have LOTS of followers. I’ve just started my own blog, but I don’t know how to get followers, do you have any advice? Thanks so much!
Sam


Sam,
Thanks for the compliments on the blog! There are really lots of ways to get more blog readers and followers, but here are a few techniques I’ve used  and read about:

- Add your blog link anywhere you can. Many handmade sellers post their shop links in their email or forum signature, and there’s no reason not to include a link to your blog also well! If you need help adding it, check out this post I made earlier on setting up an email signature. If you have an ArtFire studio, don’t forget to add the link to your MarketHub too.

- Promote your blog through all available channels. If you have a Twitter account, tweet your most recent article. If you run a newsletter, send out an update about your blog. If you’re a handmade seller, use the same means you use to promote your items. Don’t forget to share your new blog in the forums!

- Leave comments on other blogs. Do you have a favorite blog you follow? Leave a comment, and make sure to include your blog link! You want to leave a worthwhile comment which adds to the post. Also be sure to seek out others that are new to blogging or have blogs similar to yours. Remember, blogging is also about making friends!

- Post high quality, original content often. You’ll probably want to update your blog at least twice a week with content people will want to read about. While you should be blogging about what you love, be sure to include education material as well. Posting your favorite recipe (always give credit if it's from somewhere else), a how-to tutorial, or tips for creating at prefect bar of soap can be helpful both for building creditability as a blogger and for keeping readers coming back to your blog. This also means proofreading your blog several times before you make a post!

- Offer giveaways and post interviews. Many bloggers use giveaways to drive traffic to their blog, and often make the requirements for entry as simple as leaving a comment. You can also give away one of your handmade products to both promote your blog and studio. Don’t forget to interview fellow artisans as well, this is great for making friends and encouraging others to link to your blog.

All blogs start off small. Promoting is an ongoing process. Also make sure to use your ArtFire Blog, as this provides entertainment to those already in your studio and keeps them coming back!

Sara
Sell Handmade Crafts Online
Have a question for the blog? Email it to Sara@ArtFire.com.



Have any other ideas for promoting one’s blog? Post them in the comments below!

9 comments:

Fae July 28, 2010 at 8:28 PM

I love you blog Sara. You give very practical advise. On thing I have read over and over- and which seems like common sense is regarding the content of blog posts- yet for me that is the most difficult part. My blog is about my business, to promote my work- where do I get ideas for content that are relevant?

http://marleecaindesigns.blogspot.com/

Carassia July 29, 2010 at 2:59 AM

Hi K.M.,
I am not Sara but I hope you don't mind me leaving an answer here... I looked at your blog, and found that it indeed offers only texts about your business. That it is a jewelry business, is only noticeable in the text... As a visitor, I'd miss beautiful pics of your creations, stories about your work in progress, and maybe even some out-of-the-box content. Do you maybe have a hobby, or a passion besides making jewelry? I know how obsessive this one can be - just asking ;-)
Why not post a funny or interesting story about, e.g., your pets, gardening, happenings in your surrounding nature... this kinda stuff offers a nice distraction from the needful, but nevertheless quite "boring" jewelry marketing topics. Plus: Posting about another hobby will bring a different sort of users to your blog, whom you otherwise would never have addressed.
(Of course there are more ways to improve your visitor/follower counts, but that's how it works for me, and many other jewelry artist friends I am "following" myself))
Your style of writing is interesting and diverse, so why not use this talent on more than just joolry biz content!
Have fun, happy creating!
Jutta
http://carassia.blogspot.com

Fae July 30, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Carassia,
I appreciate your response! I wondered about doing more pics of my pieces. I didn't want to bog everyone down. I wanted to 'say' something as well. I hadn't considered including other content, about life outside of jewelry- at least not much of it. I will put some thought into that. Thank you for all of your advise! I checked out your blog as well- LOVE the fishes.
I revamped mine, so if you get a chance,I'd love the feedback! http://marleecaindesigns.blogspot.com/

Sara of Sell Handmade Crafts Online July 30, 2010 at 2:59 PM

K. Morris,

Carassia is right, having pictures, as well as updates about your personal life is a great idea for your blog. Also consider tips, tutorials, or even marketing ideas as possible content. :)

Hope that helps, keep up the good work!

Sara

Sue Andrus July 30, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I agree with everyone else.... I love the photos you have at the top of your blog now... not sure if you had them before your changes. More photos of your jewelry would be great.

My problem lately, is that I have begun to post more of my flower and garden photos which are my inspirations for my art, instead of posts/photos of new work. I did get a lot of comments on my latest post which showed really neat cloud formations that occurred during a very stormy evening. I get my inspiration from my photos, so adding them to my blog shows people where some of my ideas come from, and it also helps me to overcome some of the big creative block times I have been having. I am also not that great with words, so let the photos do the work for me.

Occasionally, I will announce a blog post that may be of interest to email groups I am a member of, and that will get more looks at it, and hopefully someone will click on links to my studios or other websites.

Fae August 2, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Thank you both Sara and Sue. I appreciate your input. I have started talking more about the marketing/business aspect of my jewelry. I love the idea of posting pics of things that inspire me. The pics at the top are new- part of the changes I made. I thought they helped set the stage for the blog, making it clear it was about my jewelry. I am glad you noticed them!

Honeybelles August 6, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Sara, I just stumbled across your blog and the timing couldn't be more perfect, I just started a blog myself 2 days ago! So thrilled when I saw your site, I'm new to the whole "blogging" world and I want to do it right.

I've had a slowly growing group of fans on FB but I know exactly what you mean about not using FB to post everytime you list a new item and keeping the updates regular. I think it has made a big difference from when I first started my FB fan page.

Thanks for all the great advice!
-Angie
http://honeybelles.blogspot.com/

Carassia August 6, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Hi Marlee/ K. Morris,

I like your "new" blog very much! It has a much more "airy" look now, and the jewelry pics really pop out. Now it is clear at first sight what your real obsession is!
A balanced mixture of jewelry, blogging progresses, and private/friends/hobby topics will make your blog stand out in an amiable way, sure to make people want to come back.
Way to go!
Glad to hear you like my fishies, too! :-)

Jutta

http://carassia.blogspot.com

Custom Fan page March 4, 2011 at 3:08 AM

Hello,
Nice Blog, Now I am sure when you see thousands of people liking your page you would sure be elated won't you? To let you know, Facebook fan pages have all content that are public and anyone can join your community and have access to your wall.

Post a Comment