Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Customizing Your Blog: Response to Callie

4 Comments

I have been following blogs from my reader for about a year now, and have finally picked up the courage to start my own blog! But now that I have it "set up" I don't know how to make it look any better than the basic options blogger has offered me. Is there a site out there that will walk me and anyone else new to this, through personalizing their blog. I know there are ways to use more than the 7 fonts offered originally. And I'm honestly not sure where to start or how to make it mine. Any suggestions or pointers would be great, so that I can be successful! Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!


- Callie from www.seriously-handmade.blogspot.com


Callie,
Thanks for the question! I had a peek at your blog and see you already have installed a template, but you wish to customize your blog even further. I’ve done some research and located a few guides which will help you add even more to your blog.


Blog Tutorial - Tips For Blog Templates & Blog Design In Photoshop – This guide will show you how to quickly create a banner for your blog using Photoshop. It can also show you some quick tricks to dressing up a photo to make it “pop” on your blog, and discusses things like color scheme and design elements.

Customize Your Blogger Template – This guide is specifically designed for blogger, and in additional to helping you layout your new banner on your blog, it also goes into some basic HTML for changing the width of your blog, adding a photo to your blog, and setting up your RSS feed.

To address your specific question about fonts, I found this great guide on Kevinandamanda.com which will show you how to use different fonts for your title font sidebar and even date. The best part is, visitors to your blog wouldn’t need to have these fonts installed beforehand to have them show up correctly. This guide does look rather technical and complex, so make sure you follow all of the instructions.

This should help you get started. Let me know if you have any additional questions by posting in the comments below.

Sara
Sell Handmade Crafts Online
Do you have a question for me to answer on this blog? Email me: Sara@ArtFire.com.





Do you have other suggestions for customizing a blog? Leave them in the comments below.

4 comments:

Callie Callender June 23, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Sara, Thanks so much! I am really looking forward to checking out all of your suggestions! Yay! :-)

osovictoria June 23, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Thanks for asking that question and thanks for answering Sara, Artfire is the best!

Anonymous June 23, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Blogger has a new option, Blogger in Draft and can be accessed using Design. You have a lot more options for customization without using CSS and more options for layout- 1,2 or 3 column, width,etc.
For now to use your own background, you need to enter 1 line of CSS but it is given on the site.
Also Blogger allows you to add extra Pages now, you can customise the tabs using Blogger in draft.

Post a Comment